Monday, October 11, 2010

A barber’s family

Four small, simple markers in a row at Africa Cemetery caught my eye. Walking right to left along the row, I smiled when I read the marker for Archie Corl Bennett (b. 1893 d. 1970): “This barber was a man.”

FATHER
ARCHIE CORL BENNETT
NOV. 26, 1893
MAR. 16, 1970
THIS BARBER WAS A MAN

Next, Harriett M. Bennett (b. 1905, d. 1982), “with a lantern in her hand.”


GRANNY LEAD US THROUGH LIFE
HARRIETT M. BENNETT
MAY 29, 1905
MAY 4, 1982
WIFE OF ARCHIE
WITH A LANTERN IN HER HAND

Next to Harriett, “at her request,” Mary D. Bennett (b. 1930, d. 2002).

KNOWN TO ALL AS DOLLY
MOTHER & NANNY
MARY D. BENNETT
JULY 5, 1930  Mar 17 2002
WIFE TO JACK
NEXT TO HARRIETT AT HER REQUEST

Finally, the man behind these charmingly personal grave markers. He appears to be living still, which is why his name appears here only in the image below, but his grave site is ready and to his liking.

THIS MAN PROVIDED ALL THESE MARKERS

Well done, Mr. Bennett.

Africa Cemetery, Delaware County, Ohio

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad you found these, and shared them all with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was to have made my families markers, I think I would have put 'All my own work'....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...