Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A tidy gravestone

The day I photographed the gravestone for Wm. Bugh (d. 1854) in New Reading Cemetery, I had already seen several stones on which the stone carver ran out of stone before he ran out of letters.

   

Imagine how orderly this gravestone looked to me. It neatly shows this stone carver’s skill in spatial planning with its tidy, justified text.


Wm.
BUGH
DIED:
SEPT. 7
1854.
AGED,
77 Ys.
7 MS & 17
DAYS.

Blessed
Are The
Dead
Who
Die in
The Lord.


The carved archway that frames the inscription represents the passage to heaven. The simple epitaph (Revelation 14:13) is carved onto pages of an open Bible.


New Reading Cemetery, Perry County, Ohio

1 comment:

  1. I love the honesty of the old masons who used to run out of space. It gives them such character. Today's sandblasted stones lack that somehow. I love looking at your posts, are they all in the USA? I am in the UK and I make hand carved headstones, I love their history though. Best wishes Fergus Wessel

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...