Friday, October 14, 2011

Aetatis

The Latin word Aetatis means “aged.” It is often abbreviated on early gravestones as Æ.

The gravestone for Vivian Viets Griswold (d. 1833) uses the abbreviation aet.



VIVIAN VIETS,
Son of
E. & P. GRISWOLD,
Died
March 1st, 1833,
aet. 18 mos. & 10
Ds.

A spirit too pure for Earth

His parents are Ezra and Philecta Griswold, as stated on the nearby gravestones of his sisters Fredonia Elvira Griswold (d. 1825) and Lemora Fredonia Griswold (d. 1826).


 
Oak Grove Cemetery, Delaware County, Ohio

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful stones! The definition on the first is amazing. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's that great afternoon sun that hits the face of the stones just right. Some days I luck out; some days I don't. Guess if I were really clever, I could use artificial light too--but that's just too much hassle considering all the walking I do in the cemetery!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...