Friday, March 2, 2012

Evan and Charity Holt, first white settlers

The small, yellowed plaque on the ground between the gravestones of Evan Holt (d. 1846) and Charity Holt (d. 1839) identifies the Holts as the first white settlers in Morrow County, Ohio.

  

Charity Holt
Wife of Evan
Holt died march
26, 1839 aged 78
years

EVAN HOLT.
DIED
OCT. 24, 1846.
Aged
84 Yrs. 9 Mos. 45 Ds

Charity’s gravestone, carved from sandstone, has not weathered nearly as well as her husband’s. Taking time to look closely pays off: The stone features a delicate willow-and-urn carving.


According to the plaque, which was placed by Mary Holt Klingel, Evan and Charity Holt settled in Morrow County in 1807. An 1880 book, History of Morrow County and Ohio published by O. L. Baskin and Co., offers a bit more “color”:

Evan Holt, a native of Wales, but a long resident of Chester County, Penn., had served six years in the Revolutionary army, and receiving a warrant for his services, moved on to his land as soon as surveyed by the Government. His claim was situated near the central part of the township, on a fine stream of water, and is now owned by Mr. Joseph Trowbridge. Although he lived nearly two-score years upon this place and raised a large family, that settled about him, but little is remembered of him by those now living in the township. He was an earnest, conscientious man, and commanded the respect of his fellow-townsmen. He was in very straitened circumstances, however, and often substituted nettles for flax, making it up into very passable cloth.

A modern granite marker placed behind the originals adds that Evan A. Holt “served as a drummer in the Revolutionary War.”


Chester Baptist Cemetery, Morrow County, Ohio

6 comments:

  1. Amy,

    This is a very nice article that you wrote about Evan & Charity Holt. I'm currently doing a family tree study and this couple is in my family tree. I'd be very much appreciative of anything you may be able to help me with.

    Did you obtain any information about Evan Holt Sr in regards to his military service? Is there any definite proof that he was in fact born in wales and how it came to be that he was in the states when the war broke out? Any information on the history of Evan and/or Charity would be greatly appreciated.

    My contact information is bacon.dan@gmail.com.

    Thank You,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI, AT THE AGE OF 16, Evan on june 24, 1778, he joined the Revolutionary Army as a drummer, at Valley Forge. He sreved until August of 1783. In 1785 and 1786 his name appears in the muster rolls of Gwynedd District, Montogomey Co. PA. In 1798 his name appears on muster rolls of Easton Township, Chester Co. PA. he married Charity McCreary from New Jersey and they had 10 children. I am a descendant of Evan and Charity living here in Morrow Co, OH

      Delete
  2. I too have been filling in my family tree. He is in my direct line and have also seen that he served in the war of 1812. Censure records say that he was born in Wales and moved to the US at a younger age. I will keep you posted on anything else I find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been filling in my family tree. He is in my direct line and have also seen that he served in the war of 1812. Censure records say that he was born in Wales and moved to the US at a younger age. I will keep you posted on anything else I find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan Holt is my great great grandfather. I never knew he was the first white settler. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m also researching both him and his wife. I’m in wales right now and not having luck finding much on him. Went to Talgarth but saw no holts in the cemetery. Can’t find who his parents were if I knew I could go from there looking. Any info you can email me thornapplelass@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...