Stop number 19 on the self-guided walking tour through Spring Grove Cemetery, “America’s second largest and most beautiful cemetery and arboretum,” is the Robinson Mausoleum, built in 1874.
John Robinson started the country’s first traveling circus in 1824 when he took three wagons, five horses, and a tent across the Allegheny mountains. He eventually sold shares to the Ringling Brothers. He was the son of a Scotch soldier who fought in the American Revolution and he ran away to join a circus when he was young and became a bareback rider. ... The miniturized cruciform structure of blue limestone edged with marble is ornamented with allegorical statuary of FAITH, HOPE, and CHARITY and topped by the Angel Gabriel ready to blow the horn to herald the Resurrection. (www.springgrove.org)
Spring Grove Cemetery, Hamilton County, Ohio